We are hoping to buy a new house and move soon. I was asking Claire about how she'd like her room in the new house. She wants either Dinosaurs or outer space! That's just lovely...how am I suppose to find girly dinosaurs or planets? Anyway...
She has a garden room now so I was trying to talk her into keeping it. This is how the conversation went:
Me: Why don't you just keep your garden room?
Claire: Well, its not great.
Me: Sure it is.
Claire: No, no one has told me they like it.
Me: People have told me how cute it is.
Claire: Well, no one has told me. It has to be great. I want people to like it.
Me: Why?
Claire: So I can be popular!
Me: What??????????
She is only 7 and she's homeschooled. Where in the world did she get the idea that she needs to be popular???? I explained that she just needs to be herself and people will like her for her, but I think she still thinks she needs to be "popular".
Is this what I have to look forward to with a girl? I think I should be afraid...very afraid!
Any moms of older girls out there? I'd love to hear your advice.
By the way, here is a link to a post about her garden room when I first did it way back in 2008. I still think its cute and want her to keep it, but we'll see. :)
http://aimeesland.blogspot.com/2008/11/garden-room.html
4 comments:
wow, yeah, I run into this too, even though mine are homeschooled- from my youngest DD age 8 and surprisingly from my son, age 10.
My dd8 has picked up ideas from friends in the neighborhood, and unfortunately, things on t.v at the friend's house when she is over. We don't allow the Disney channel, but the neighbor's do.
my son, all of a sudden wouldn't wear shirts with stripes- something boys said to him at Sunday school, grrr...I didn't appreciate having to buy him new church polos without stripes, but he was really upset, so I went with it...
handle it..well I pray alot, try to talk to them encouragingly and gently, but sadly my opinion doesn't always convince.
I think the room looks great.. Maybe she is just changing and growing up and wants a new change along with the new house. Sorry to her about the popular thing.. I am not there yet with my little one so do not know how to help. I just say for her to be herself and people should like her for who she is..
I love her room! But I totally get her wanting something new for the new house. The popular thing...I can't help with that because apparently my kids don't really care and I was never very popular as a kid. I had several close friends and that was good enough for me, at least in hindsight.
I showed Olivia the garden room picture and she liked it but she said she'd like dinosaurs, too. I think all 3 of my girls would love a dinosaur room! Maybe in a couple of years I'll be ready to do something new with their bedroom.
Post a Comment