Monday, September 16, 2013

Sarah Plain and Tall

My daughter's book club is officially underway this year!
The first book was a short one since we were gone on vacation for a whole week before the meeting.
The book was Sarah Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan.
Claire, who absolutely LOVED all of the Little House books, really liked this one. 
She loves stories of girls in pioneer days.
 
The night before book club I made some pioneer bread. 
It was very easy to make and tasted really good.
 
 

 
I let the kids spread on whatever they wanted...
I had butter, apple butter and homemade jelly.

 
 
My original plan was to have them churn the butter.  (I have a butter churn.)  However, we'd only been back from vacation for two days and I didn't have any cream or any time to run to the store so we had to make due with store-bought butter.
 
We also watched the Hallmark movie that was made from the book.  I hear there is a trilogy of these movies, but I have not seen part 2 or 3.  Finding part 1 was hard enough!
 
I used a Scholastic reading guide that I found online for the discussion.  
The bread recipe is on pg. 57 of this guide.  Click the link above to open it.
 
Next month we're reading How to Eat Fried Worms.  I have a feeling my daughter isn't going to like that one as much, but I plan on having lots of fun at that book club!!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

That is one of the books on our list. I'm so glad you wrote your blog about it. We meet next month for the first time and I think I'll "borrow" your information you posted. Thanks!!