Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I don't know about you, but I usually don't make a "New Year's Resolution". I guess I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment! Although 2 years ago I did join the Y on Jan. 2 and I'm happy to say I'm still working out so I guess that one kind of worked out for me!

Anyway, this year I've decided to make one. It is probably the opposite of some that other people make. I'm going to volunteer less. Yes, you read that right! I spent most of this last year organizing and coordinating things for our homeschool group, Vacation Bible School, Little League teams, etc., etc. I've had enough! I have neglected my home, family, and homeschooling all to plan things for other people. I just don't think that's fair to my kids, my husband or myself. My husband actually asked me back in November if I'd go just one month without organizing something. I thought about it and told him I couldn't even think of it until March! That got me thinking. Why should I be the one who does all of this?

Our homeschool group has around 70 families in it, but I am usually the only one who will plan big events like the All Saints Party or the Science Fair. This last year I organized a Valentine Party, an All Saints Party, a Christmas Party, 2 potlucks, a field trip to a bakery and the annual state of the group meeting. I'm also currently organizing our first science fair for Jan. 9. That's just what I've done for the homeschool group! I'm thinking that with 70 families maybe its time for someone else to step up and organize something. I'm not going to quit everything. I'll still plan the little holiday parties for the kids because my kids really enjoy them. I will not be planning a science fair or potlucks next year though. And I'm not planning to volunteer at VBS. I have volunteered at VBS for the last 4 years. Every year I volunteered to do a big job like coordinator, craft lead or PreK lead. This year I think I deserve a break.

I'm finding myself completly burned out. That makes me snippy with my kids and husband, tired, and less motivated when homeschooling. So, my resolution this year is to do less for others and devote more time to my family.

What about you? Do you make New Year's Resolutions?

No comments: