Claire's assignment for science was to examine dirt with a magnifying glass. I got her some dirt out of my garden and she found an earthworm in it. She was thrilled and, being the little girly girl that she is, decided she wanted to keep it as a pet. I said no, of course. She played with it for a while. She would giggle when it moved and she thought it was making letters and numbers out of its body! She named it Professor Wormy doodle something or another...I don't know. She kept changing the name every 2 minutes! She also wanted it to stay and live in the house. She said it told her it wanted my room! She also wanted me to make it a sweater! Where does she get these ideas??? Anyway, we all had a good laugh. Claire brings such silliness to our family. I love it. I snapped this picture before she took it back out to the garden. Yes, she finally did put that poor thing back!
Funniness aside, this little occurance made me so grateful for homeschooling. Not only did I get to share in her activity and the joy she felt finding the worm, I also did a little impromtu lesson on earthworms. Claire, for reasons unknown to me, said its a girl and a boy. Nathan said that was impossible. So, then they got to learn that, in fact, Claire was kind of right. Earthworms have both male and female reproductive organs. Nathan just could not believe that! So, a simple little activity about looking at soil turned out to be even more educational than I'm sure the text book authors planned. It also provided some comic relief to our school day!
To join in on Wordless Wednesday visit Serendipity is Sweet
To join in on Wordful Wednesday visit sevenclowncircus.com
8 comments:
Wow it is so great you have this time with her.
Stopping by from Seven Clown Circus!
That is such a cue picture, I can just feel the silliness. :) How cool that you were able to turn something fun into an extra little lesson.
If you have a chance, stop by my WW post and say hi!
What a great story! I'm so glad you went wordful :D
what a great idea!!
Cute post! I would love to see an earthworm in a sweater!!!
That is cute! And yes, I love homeschooling for not only the academic, but for the simple life lessons too.
That's great!
Fun! Getting to enjoy a squiggly worm without the usual peer pressure that requires one to scream and dash for the fire exit.
Post a Comment