Friday, November 19, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday #63

I bought this card at an antique mall a while back. Its to "Miss Greta Cater". I don't see a year on the postmark, but the stamp is 1 cent so it was definately sent a while ago.


The text was difficult to read. Here is what I think it said. If I just couldn't make out the word I put ???.
Have not heard from you for so long. I am wondering if your car has been too muscle for you. I have been on the road nearly all summer and feeling fine. Down to Delaware's water, ??? Boston, Portland, Maine & New York City. It will soon be time to oput up the car for the winter.
M.N.Fitch. (not sure if I got that right)

Postcard Friendship Friday is hosted by Beth at The Best Hearts are Crunchy

13 comments:

D Ashour said...

That is so neat, Aimee! It's interesting to think that the writer had no idea how this postcard would one day be shared.

Beth Niquette said...

What a COOL postcard! lol I love it. Thank you for sharing it. I think it is funny to put the car up for the winter--wonder how they got around then???

Have a wonderful day and happy PFF!

Anonymous said...

Beth's right. I wonder how they got around in winter too. Sleigh pulled by horses? Also wonder what kind of car they had waaaay back then.

Snap said...

I love the verse on the card! Put the car up! I'm not old enough to remember those days, but I remember the stories told! Fun card, Aimee! Happy Thanksgiving!

Dorincard said...

The postmark doesn't indicate (clearly, or not at all?) the year. But the good news is that it informs you, Aimee, today that it was at 7 p.m. :)

Paul van Yperen said...

Sweet card. The message makes you wonder where the sender lived. Happy PFF.

MrCachet said...

The 'muscle' should read 'much' in your transcription. It takes awhile to get used to reading the handwriting. This one isn't too difficult. Great card, and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

LOL. The word verification is 'stork'. It ought to be 'turkey'!

Joy said...

What a great card, I love both sides. I wonder if he was a travelling salesman.

Aimee said...

Thanks, MrCachet! "Much" makes more sense! I was doing this post in a hurry this morning so I didn't have a lot of time to spend deciphering the writing.

The postmark looks like Rockville, Conn. maybe. No year, just Nov 26 at 7 pm.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Maybe he was a travelling salesman for ice-cream, so didn't work ing the winter. :)

M. A. Leal said...

That's a very cool card! My "translation" from the back is a little different :)
"Have not heard from you for so long. I am wondering if your car has been too much for you. I have been on the road nearly all summer and am feeling fine. Drove to Delaware Water Gap, Boston, Portland, Maine and New York City. It will soon be time to put up the car for winter."

The Delaware Water Gap is a borough in Monroe County, Pennsylvania.

Really great card! Have a great PFF!

Lyneen said...

I am laughing at the "too Muscle"..... wonder what make the car was. TFS... Happy PFF!

LiT Web Studio said...

Mmmm...no date! I love a bit of detective work! In 1912 it was decided to change the subject of the one cent stamp from Franklin to Washington and to also write the value as the number "1" in numerals rather than the word "one"...but these stamps were in use right through to the 1920s I believe...
There's a number "23" across Washington's chin...could that be the year?